Thursday, July 17, 2008

Continuing Revelation from God

I think one of the most misunderstood things about the church is the belief in continuing revelation. Critics and detractors will say that Joseph Smith decided to do such and such because he was thinking such and such or was such and such a person. That kind of thinking just doesn’t make any sense if you believe that Jesus Christ is the head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and that all instructions and doctrine come from God through the Holy Ghost to his designated prophet. One of the most beautiful teachings of the Church was highlighted recently when our beloved prophet Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. He was the prophet since I was about 15. He was so positive – such a light to the world. I attended a handful of meetings where he was the speaker and it was such a wonderful thing when he came into the auditorium. A hush would fall as the music played, “We thank thee oh God for a prophet”. All the students (thousands of them) would stand in complete silence, then a little man with white hair would slowly walk arm in arm with his wife to his seat and would smile at the students assembled. Some of my favorite memories were of when he began using a cane and would lift it in a little salute to the audience. He was such a wonderful, holy, cute man.
He passed away the day after Joseph was born. I was in the hospital when I heard. I was sad he was gone, but I mostly was happy that such a good thing had happened to such a diligent man. He was very old and his wife had passed away a few years earlier. He missed her so much. Thinking of them together again always makes me smile.
Then who would be the next prophet? I wasn’t worried. Jesus Christ is the head of the church, -always has been and always will be. As far as earthly leadership there is generally a line of succession based on seniority, but ultimately, God decides. The remaining apostles gather in spirit of prayer and fasting, each receiving independently the feeling of the Spirit telling them who the next prophet is. They form a consensus and present the new prophet to the church shortly after for the church to also consent to. The Spirit also whispered to my heart in a warm peaceful feeling of truth that the man chosen, President Thomas S. Monson is God’s chosen prophet. So I rejoice that I know for certain that this man is chosen of God, because I know I know for myself.
The belief in personal revelation keeps the church steady in times of change. It also keeps me and my family steady in a time of moral change. We are firmly anchored on our faith in Jesus Christ. Fads, experts, science, trends, and social pressure will not move us from God’s revealed truth.
It is such a sweet feeling for a person to know that the course in life they are in persuit of is in accordance with God’s will. My feeling is that a life lived out in such manner will ultimately bring the maximum joy and satisfaction possible to God’s children. This conclusion is based on what I know about God – first, he loves each of us perfectly. Second, he wants each of us to return to him. Third, he knows everything including the situations where we can best grow as people and serve him. Fourth, he wants us to be happy.
I thank God daily for the truth he has given to the world. Because of revealed truth and faith in Christ, I know my purpose, meaning of, and direction for my life and the life of my family.

President Thomas S. Monson

1 comment:

Julie Tegeder said...

beautiful...sigh. I enjoyed reading your testimony.Thank you